Monday, December 28, 2009

Keeping the hubby happy with Grandma's recipes


This is fun. Not only do I get to ruin my mom's recipes, but now I also get to ruin Bryan's mom's recipes. I suppose I could have watched Connie make Bryan's favorite childhood dish, Seafoam Salad. Better yet, I could have helped her make it. But I had better things to do on Christmas Eve, like watch holiday movies on Chiller. Hey, we don't get that station. That's a good enough excuse, isn't it?

I have a better excuse. This was the first Christmas I have had the chance to celebrate in Bryan's hometown since we first started dating in the early part of this waning decade. I'm not going to say that I'm happy to be out of the newspaper industry, but there certainly are aspects of it I'm never going to miss. Like having to work nearly every single holiday, or at least enough of the surrounding days that holiday travel was impossible.

So getting laid off has had its benefits, that's for sure. For once, I didn't have to work, trying to squeeze in a meal with family after an exhausting day, or to even cook a harried holiday meal on or in between work days. For once, I got to put my feet up and enjoy a week that much of the nation has off every year of their lives. So thank you, to my wonderful inlaws, for giving me that week of relaxation.

Oh, so you came here for a recipe, not to hear me make up excuses for my laziness?

Well, here you go. A holiday classic from Bryan's Grandma Dorothy:

Seafoam Salad
15-oz. can pears in heavy syrup
4-oz. package lime jello
8-oz. package cream cheese, softened
12-oz. can evaporated milk, thoroughly chilled

Drain pears, reserving syrup. Mash pears and set aside. Heat syrup to boiling, then add to the lime jello, stirring to dissolve. Gradually beat in softened cream cheese. Stir in mashed pears. Chill until almost firm (about 30 minutes).

Beat evaporated milk until soft peaks form. Fold whipped milk into pear mixture. Chill at least six hours before serving, preferably overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment