Wednesday, February 3, 2010

I come bearing gifts of peanut butter-chocolate chip cookies


Mom's done more than teach me the joy and importance of cooking. She also has taught me a bit about etiquette and how it pertains to cooking. OK, to be completely honest, she never really told me the rule outright, so like most things with her, I had to learn by watching and it did not happen overnight.

But basically, the rule is that you never show up at somebody's house empty-handed. A bottle of wine, a six-pack of beer (or more), a plate of cheese and crackers, anything. Well, she's more likely to bring something like a bag of fresh apples or a cut-up pineapple, but she does hang with a much different crowd than we do.

Anyway, tonight I had a "work" meeting and I wasn't sure what to bring. Alcohol might not have been appropriate, cheese and crackers can be inconvenient unless you know the circumstances ... so I made some cookies. They're easy to bring, and they're a one-hand snack that don't require plates.

And with this great recipe from Bryan's Mom, I knew I couldn't go wrong (and that Bryan would be happy!):

Ultimate Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
1/2 c. (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 c. peanut butter
1-1/4 c. packed brown sugar
3 T. milk
1 T. vanilla
1 egg
2 c. flour
3/4 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
1 c. milk chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Blend together butter, peanut butter, brown sugar, milk and vanilla, then add egg.

Sift together flour, salt and soda, and add to the peanut butter mixture. Fold in the chocolate chips. Place rounded spoonfuls on cookie sheet and press down lightly with a fork.

Bake for 11 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes before removing to cooling racks. Cool completely before storing in airtight containers.

No comments:

Post a Comment