Monday, June 14, 2010

Asian-style Trout (the whole thing)


On the rare occasion that Mom gets trout, she usually breads it and pan fries it, giving me the fleshy filet and saving the delicacy (the head) for herself. But we had that the last time I visited so she decided to try something new, this time using her traditional method of cooking almost every other white fish: microwaving.

If you read my post about her Barbecue Ribs, you know I'm no fan of the microwave, so I'll just use that as my excuse for never making this staple of hers. But when and if I make her Asian fish recipe, I can guarantee you I'll be using the oven instead of the microwave -- thereby ruining her recipe. Sigh. But until I ruin it, here's her method.

Asian-style Fish
1 lb. white-fleshed fish such as trout, tilapia or cod
2 T. sesame oil
2 T. soy sauce
1/2 to 1 t. sugar (optional)
1-inch piece ginger, cut in thin strips
1 c. leeks, green parts only (or green onions)

Place fish in a microwave-safe dish. Drizzle sesame oil and soy sauce on top. Sprinkle ginger and leeks over fish. Cook in microwave for 2-3 minutes. Check, stir and continue cooking until done, about 2-3 more minutes.

(This dish is great with shitake mushrooms, too. Just slice them up and add them with the ginger and green onions in the beginning.)

No comments:

Post a Comment