Tuesday, June 1, 2010

What makes a cheeseball even better? Bacon!


I can deal with the reality that Amy Sedaris will probably never invite me to one of her legendary parties, but in the meantime I just want to cook like her.

And after finding four cheeseball recipes in her book, "I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence," I decided it was time to hold a cheeseball smackdown to see if I could give people another reason to invite me to parties than the infamous Garlic Cheeseball.

It appears you now have four reasons to invite me over.

Basically, what it really comes down to is that cream cheese is delicious, which makes cheeseballs irresistible because of the added goodness. Unfortunately for all of our waistlines, the added goodness in the new recipes comes largely in the form of butter and mayonnaise, but who's really counting calories in a cheeseball anyway?

The first of the three to disappear was The Heavyset Cheese Ball, shown above on the left. I cheated a little bit on this one, because it was supposed to be coated with whole, roasted almonds. But it looked like way too much work and I figured we were getting more than enough added calories from the 1/2 c. of mayonnaise and the five strips of bacon.

And although the Heavyset - which also had chives in it so it kind of tasted like a baked potato cheeseball - was the clear winner among the majority, the remaining two cheeseballs had some serious fans: Dan, a pepper-eating machine, couldn't get enough of Cluster Maven's Pepper Mill Cheese Ball, middle, which is coated in 2 T. of coarsely ground pepper, and meanwhile taste-tester foodies Chelsea and Justin were eating Amy Sedaris' Li'l Smokey Cheeseball by the spoonful. Sorry there were no leftovers, Chelsea!

Next time, I'm going to have a hard time picking which cheeseball to make, and there's still one more recipe from the book I haven't tried. At least from now on it'll be a surprise!

No comments:

Post a Comment