Monday, July 19, 2010

Eggs Florentine tricks from "Breakfast Special"


Watch the full episode. See more Breakfast Special.


Last week I got sucked into "Breakfast Special," on PBS and although I could only drool over specialties like Scotch Eggs at Helser's in Portland, I decided to try to make the Eggs Florentine served at The Breakfast Club in Savannah, Ga., Hollandaise Sauce and all.

Ideally, we would have eaten this dish after a long, hard workout, but since time was not on my side over the weekend, we instead decided it make it after a long, hard night of drinking at Die Bierstube. I put Bryan to the task of whisking the Hollandaise Sauce while I put the tricks I'd learned to the test.

Rather than simply wilting the spinach and poaching the eggs separately, I threw freshly washed spinach onto a skillet, then broke two eggs directly into the leaves, put a lid on top and let the eggs cook.

Unfortunately, I either did not let them cook long enough or didn't turn up the heat high enough because they ended up a little runnier than I think anybody prefers, but it was still a good trick that I aim to perfect.

We placed the spinach-egg combo on freshly toasted English muffins, topped it with sauteed mushrooms and onions, and poured way too much Hollandaise sauce on top for a midnight snack that is literally to die for.

Check out the yummy end result. Delish.

No comments:

Post a Comment