Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A peachy Fourth of July weekend


We didn't have any camping trips or other big events planned over the Fourth of July weekend, so I decided to create my own big event, namely canning some peaches.

I'm a little ashamed that it's taken nearly a year for me to get my act together and apply the knowledge I learned at Leslie's Canvolution last August. But at least I did it. And the jam: delicious. I'll have to get back to you on the peaches because it takes at least a month for the flavor to fully infuse.

And at least I learned my lesson after my attempt at canning carrots earlier this year resulted in a broken jar Mom had given me that probably once had my baby food in it. This time, not only was I better prepared with a jar lifter, but I also figured out that boiling the jars is not a good idea. It says "200 degree water bath," not rolling boil!

After canning 10 pounds of peaches with my little helper, Bryan, stirring away, I realized I didn't have enough sugar to can anymore but I still had quite a bit leftover. So I made this Peach Tart, shown above in the middle, that I was drooling over while at the gym a couple of weeks ago. Normally, Paula Deen recipes kinda make me feel a little ill with her too-generous use of fat, but this one's a keeper. Just ask Ed at Vortex Cellars -- and stay tuned for more on my friend's up-and-coming winery!

No comments:

Post a Comment