Saturday, February 5, 2011

My frittata rules: eggs, onion and cheese


Last month Veronica and Julie came over for a much-needed brunch, and Julie was asking me for the frittata recipe we were devouring.

"What recipe?" I asked smugly.

But really, there is a basic recipe that my kitchen-sink frittata is based on: Chard and Salami Frittata from Bon Appetit.

Since the first time I made it, I've been playing with the ingredients to see what works. And I haven't ruined one yet. I've tried it with spinach in place with the chard, with very positive results. And although I've made it with salami plenty of times, as the frittata evolved into more of that kitchen-sink recipe, I started using bacon more frequently because it's such a mainstay in our kitchen.

But its evolution continues, and Julie got a special treat when I used pancetta for the first time, which gave it enough extra kick to make it worth waiting in the deli line again. But the eggs, onion and Parmesan cheese I'd never do without.

Frittata for Julie
6 eggs
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. freshly ground pepper
1/4 c. Parmesan cheese, divided
2 T. olive oil
4 oz. pancetta, cut in strips
1 clove garlic, minced
1 medium onion, sliced
8 oz. sliced mushrooms
1 bunch red chard, washed and cut in 1/2-inch ribbons

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large bowl, mix eggs, salt, pepper and 2 T. Parmesan. Set aside

Heat large cast-iron skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Stir in pancetta and cook until curled and crispy, about 4 minutes. Remove to a plate lined with a paper towel.

Throw garlic and onions in skillet and saute until soft, about 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and continue cooking until mushrooms are cooked, about 8 minutes. Add chard in batches and stir until wilted, then add egg mixture and lightly mix to evenly coat the veggies. Sprinkle remaining 2 T. Parmesan on top.

Place skillet in oven and cook until lightly puffed and golden, about 15 minutes. Slide a spatula around the edge, then invert onto a place. Serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment