Tuesday, February 22, 2011

What's your favorite way to prepare arugula?


One of the struggles/joys of being part of a CSA is throwing together veggies without having any idea how they'll turn out.

We had some leftover chicken thighs on the menu last night, which I knew would be perfectly complemented by a bed of polenta. But for the veggies, I had to get creative. I'd hoped to use some arugula I'd gotten from the farm for a pizza, but I knew that wasn't going to happen within the shelf life of the arugula. So I reverted to my old standby: a quick saute over high heat with 1-2 T. extra-virgin olive olive, 1-2 cloves of minced garlic and about 1/2 t. salt.

It works for any leafy green vegetable, but I have to admit, the arugula wasn't able to sustain much of its flavor, so it definitely felt like I was wasting a lovely vegetable. But it had a great texture cooked like that, and tasted even better with the roasted red bell pepper and crispy prosciutto that was thrown on top.

I'm still learning how to eat this spicy, tasty veggie. Got any tips?

1 comment:

  1. I've had a ham sandwich with arugula and mustard. The mustard seemed to cancel out the bitter of the arugula. I have to explore the mustard-arugula connection further...

    ReplyDelete