Wednesday, March 9, 2011

My own Li'l Smokey Bread Pudding


It's been awhile since I've made the Li'l Smokey Cheeseball, because every time I do I wonder what to do with the remainder of the smoked Gouda -- besides eat it, of course. This time, I decided it would taste great with the half-loaf of Swiss onion bread I bought five days ago and was since a bit on the hard side. Remedy? Bread pudding, of course!

Unfortunately, I didn't have a specific recipe, but I had enough other recipes that I was able to make a tasty dish.

Li'L Smokey Bread Pudding
6 slices bacon, chopped
1 T. butter, room temperature
8 small slices of days-old bread
1-1/2 c. smoked Gouda
1-1/2 c. nonfat milk
3 eggs

Cook bacon in a skillet until crispy, about 10 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towels.

Meanwhile, butter an oven-save dish, then line with four slices of the bread. Top with half of the bacon and cheese, then cover with the last four slices of bread. Sprinkle with remaining bacon and cheese. Mix milk and eggs in a small bowl, then pour evenly over the bread. Wrap tightly and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.

Cook in an oven preheated to 350 degrees F. for 30-35 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment