Friday, January 1, 2010

I want my baby back baby back baby back ribs


So I finally gathered the courage to make baby back ribs ... but instead of making Mom's tried and true recipe, I chickened out and made one I found on the Internet. It was under the heading "The Best BBQ Ribs in the World," so how could I resist?

As silly as it sounds, I guess I just wanted to make sure I could make baby back ribs at all before tackling something that I'm sure to be overly critical about. Besides, it probably will work out in my favor since I ended up buying more ribs than we could use for one recipe. That means Mom's ribs are next on the agenda, so at least I'll be comparing them to this recipe instead of to hers.

Don't get me wrong, this recipe turned out great. But from a personal taste perspective, I'm simply not sure how much of a fan I am of the dry rub. It probably has something to do with the fact I grew up eating moist Asian-style ribs, and the dry rub was just a little, well, dry. But it's still worth trying. Let me know what you think, and I'll let you know the verdict after I finally make Mom's recipe.

Baby Back Ribs in a Dry Rub
2 racks baby back pork ribs
Marinade:
1/2 c. each lime, lemon and orange juice
4 large cloves of garlic, minced
1 small onion, chopped
1 T. cinnamon
Dry rub:
1/4 c. each paprika, dried sage, oregano, cumin and freshly ground black pepper
2 T. or more dried chile powder
Glaze:
2 T. honey or brown sugar
1/2 c. lime, lemon and orange juice

Rinse the ribs and dry them with paper towels. Cut them to fit a 2.5-gallon zip-top bag. Mix the marinade ingredients, then place ribs and marinade in the bag and marinate overnight or up to 24 hours.

Preheat oven to 220 degrees F. Mix dry rub ingredients. Remove ribs from zip-top bag and discard marinade. Pat the dry rub on both sides of ribs, then place on a roasting pan with water underneath, but not touching the ribs.

Bake for five to six hours, then mix the glaze ingredients and baste on both sides of the ribs during the last hour of cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment