Thursday, January 28, 2010

Sweet mustard zests up corned beef

With all of my different freelance gigs fighting for my attention, I admit I've gotten a bit lazy about cooking lately. I'm starting to realize why so many people go out to eat or make prepared meals. No, I'm not going to stop cooking, but there may be less lasagna and beef burgundy in my repertoire while I figure out my life.

So in the meantime, I like things like corned beef that can just go in the Crock-Pot all day long while I slave over the computer. This time, I didn't make it to the store early enough to use the slow cooker, so I tried the oven method instead and found it just as tasty. But I was longing, again, for that sweet and savory combination, so I whipped up a batch of honey mustard using equal parts Grey Poupon Dijon and light brown sugar.

After the corned beef was done, which I cooked covered with water in a Dutch oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit with carrots and red potatoes (an hour per pound of meat), I took out the meat, slathered it with the mustard and broiled it for about 15 minutes, until the mustard was bubbly and starting to brown.

It did the trick. It never hurts to spice things up a bit, does it?

No comments:

Post a Comment