Monday, January 4, 2010

King Oyster Mushrooms balance out the meal


And I bet you were thinking that I was a disgusting person for eating ribs on the first day of the New Year. But we actually started 2010 off just right, with a healthy balance of nutrition and fun. We even went to the gym that morning, which as far as I'm concerned gives me free reign to eat whatever I please afterward.

Well, within reason, which meant the ribs of gluttony needed to be canceled out a little more than through a simple trip to the gym. So I took a page from Mom's multi-dish meals by adding some antioxidant color to the meal, and I also left the fat out: The sugar snap peas got a quick saute in nonstick spray, garlic powder and salt, and we also held off on buttering the yams and simply mashed them with salt and pepper.

Now the mushrooms get a little more play. Have you ever seen king oyster mushrooms? Check these bad boys out:


Unless you frequent the Asian grocery, these probably look like something you'd expect to see your old hippie neighbor sneaking around with. But they actually are simply giant oyster mushrooms with a mildly sweet flavor. For a time, Mom sauteed some of these along with Chicken Gizzards nearly every time I came over solo. We seem to be the only ones in the family who love to eat both dishes, so why not?

But with the holidays comes the whole family, which meant I was cut off from the source as Mom made more crowd-pleasing dishes. It was time for me to finally try my hand at making king oyster mushrooms myself, and as usual, it was a learning lesson. No, my beloved cheap chardonnay is not an appropriate substitute for dry Chinese cooking wine. Guess I'll be expanding my pantry even more with some salted rice wine, whatever that is, the next time I go to the Asian grocery.

Sauteed King Oyster Mushrooms
2 king oyster mushrooms
2 t. canola oil
Dash salt
2 clove garlic, chopped
1/4 c. salted rice wine or vermouth

Cut oyster mushrooms in half lengthwise, then slice in 1/4-inch pieces.

Heat nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add canola oil, then cook garlic for 30 seconds. Add salt and oyster mushrooms, and saute for about 5 minutes, until soft. Add wine or vermouth and close lid for 30 seconds. Lift lid and stir for about a minute so the wine evaporates a bit before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment