Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Yes I can can Spicy Pickled Carrots!

Another great achievement on Easter was the pickled carrots that I brought.

Remember back in August when I went to a canning party? After that, Mom gave me her pressure canner and I got all excited to get in touch with my canning roots, but it just never happened.

But then, a couple of weeks ago, I saw that asparagus was on sale and I was suddenly determined to do some canning. I looked up a couple of recipes, and decided to just buy whatever was on sale and to give it a try.

I started out small, hoping for just two Mason jars full of pickled carrots, but one of them broke because I think I was boiling rather than simmering the jars. Live and learn, right? But one survived, and the contents were marvelous after just three weeks. Next time I'll be sure to wait longer, I just wanted to share the bounty with my family for the first test.

Spicy Pickled Carrots
2 lbs. carrots, peeled and cut in matchsticks
1 t. kosher salt
3 c. vinegar
3 c. water
8 garlic cloves, peeled
2 bay leaves
1 jalepeno, cut in half
1 t. peppercorns

Sterilize two Mason jars (or whatever you like) and their lids.

Meanwhile, heat salt, vinegar and water over medium heat. Bring to a boil, then turn down heat and simmer until you're ready to use.

In each sterilized jar, place half the carrots, four garlic cloves, 1/2 t. peppercorns, 1 bay leaf (ripped in half) and half the jalepeno. Pour the vinegar mixture in each jar until it's about 1/2 inch from the top. Seal with the sterilized, two-piece lid and simmer, completely covered, in a canner or large stockpot for 15 minutes.

Remove jars carefully then cool at room temperature overnight. Store it in a cool place for about a month before opening.

No comments:

Post a Comment